Friday, June 11, 2010

Grief....

It's been a tough week. Just when I thought I was holding it together, I felt like I was spinning out of control, and not able to cope with anything.

Having 3 children, 3 1/2, 26 months, and 7 months has been a whirlwind of excitement, fatigue and sleep deprivation. I keep hoping maybe time could just slow down a bit?!? When my daughter of 26 months was diagnosed with Childhood Apraxia of Speech, I knew there was more going on. I knew that her gross and fine motor skills also needed assistance, aka therapy. Five days a week, there are 1 0r sometimes 2 appointments in one day. Today was one of those days with the blessing of 2 appointments. OT and then speech.

This was her first OT appointment. It didn't go well. I've learned she might have something more, something called "Sensory Processing Disorder." WHEN CAN I CATCH A BREAK?!?! It is so easy for her to become frustrated, and just not handle certain textures, noises, etc. We will be implementing the "brushing technique." Ideally, I've been told you want to do this every 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Trying to fit this into working full-time, and I can basically loose my mind now.

I've created a spreadsheet, color-coded, mind you, with all of the details of life's daily grind. I'm so overwhelmed, exhausted, and lonesome at the same time for some resemblance of normalcy in our life. Not sure when this is going to happen. But holding out in faith that it will. And yet, desperately wanting to have something POSITIVE happen in a day's work. Today, it was the smile on my kid's faces when I got them up this morning. Who would have guessed that would have been the fuel needed to make it through such a difficult day. 6 more hours and counting until I can "Call it a day."

My kids and family are counting on me. I will not give up, and will not let my grief consume me. God is bigger than this, and can heal the broken heart that I now possess...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your uplifting comment on my blog. It's frustrating, isn't it? The scariest part is the future...completely unknown...but that's not in our hands, and we just have to let go and learn to trust. Our insurance does not cover private speech, but does OT, so I'm going to look into that for Audrey as well. Even though her EI evaluators did not say she needed it, I heard that OT and ST go well together, especially for children with apraxia. Is your daughter in preschool or will be this fall? We took the plunge today to enroll Audrey in hopes it will help her speech somewhat. And if not her speech, at least her social skills. She is very shy! Keep up the good work. A mom of 3 young ones is a hard job, but it sounds like you are persevering. Kudos to you! I have only one and somedays I feel like pulling my hair out. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there and be strong. Therapies really work wonders for these kiddos! I've got a girl to prove it!

    ((HUGS)) to you!

    pattie

    ReplyDelete